Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Celebrating May Day

What a beautiful day!  I thoroughly enjoyed all the time I was able to spend outside before work, during lunch and after work.  I decided to keep a count of all the bird and butterfly species I saw today, whether I had photos or not.  Here it is:

Birds
  1. American Bittern (call only)
  2. American Goldfinch 
  3. American Robin
  4. Barn Swallow
  5. Black-Capped Chickadee
  6. Blue Jay (on nest)
  7. Canada Goose (on nest)
  8. Carolina Wren
  9. Chipping Sparrow
  10. Downy Woodpecker
  11. Eastern Bluebird
  12. Eastern Phoebe
  13. European Starling
  14. Great Blue Heron
  15. House Finch 
  16. Killdeer
  17. Mute Swan
  18. Northern Cardinal
  19. Northern Mockingbird
  20. Red-Tailed Hawk
  21. Red-Winged Blackbird
  22. Song Sparrow 
  23. Tree Swallow
  24. Tufted Titmouse
  25. Yellow Warbler
  26. Yellow-Rumped Warbler

Butterflies
  1. Cabbage White
  2. Spring Azure
  3. Mourning Cloak

Pre-work outing at Wildwood Cemetery

Morning Dew


Carolina Wren


 Blue Jays (changing who was on the nest)



Tree Swallow


Tree Swallows


Red-Winged Blackbird (female) at marsh abutting cemetery


Noontime outing in my yard and in Southboro

"April Showers Bring May Flowers", and my tulips bloomed right on schedule!











 Song Sparrow


Eastern Phoebe (click for an enlargement)


 American Goldfinch


Evening outing at Bolton Flats in Lancaster, MA

Yellow Warbler


Red-Winged Blackbird (female)


Trout Lilies

Just as I reached the gate to leave Bolton Flats, I noticed a carpet of trout lilies near the water.  This photo doesn't do it justice and is only a small portion of what was there.  Really a treat to find out in nature!

Happy May!

No comments:

Post a Comment