Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Spotted Sandpiper and Least Sandpipers at Farm Pond

I took my lunch break at Farm Pond in Framingham, Massachusetts today.  Farm Pond is an urban setting, with a railroad switching yard , a city park, a yard waste dump, and commercial properties along the pond.

I was under the false impression (before this year and this blog) that sandpipers were found on ocean beaches and sandy lake shores.  Now I know differently.  I have seen them in Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge walking in the grass next to a pretty small pond and now here at Farm Pond, walking in the mud among the water lilies.


 Spotted Sandpiper



 Wood Duck (female)


Blue Dasher


Slaty Skimmer


 Halloween Pennant

Ruby Meadowhawks, mating (male is red)

Least Sandpiper


How many well-camouflaged sandpipers do you see in this photo?  You can click on it to enlarge it.....





Scroll down for the answer.....







Five.  How'd you do?  


No comments:

Post a Comment