Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

Took an evening walk at Great Meadows.  There wasn't much light because it was after 6PM and cloudy, but it was still very pleasant there, with great nature sightings at every turn.

Did you know Goldfinches nest in August?  She's gathering soft lining!

This must have been a good fishing area!  I think the white bird is a juvenile Little Blue Heron.  A Great Blue Heron is just to its right.   

Um, excuse me!  I think it's a bit too early for this!

Blue Dasher

 Great Blue Heron

This Great Egret has a problem with one of its legs.  Normally, during flight, they are held together, straight behind them in an aerodynamic position.  The one that is drooping down must be injured.

 Cedar Waxwing (one of my favorite birds and only the 2nd time I've seen one!)

Great Egret

 This Great Blue Heron landed on a nesting box and preened itself for a while.

Eastern Kingbird

Eastern Leopard Frog

No comments:

Post a Comment