Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Eastern Amberwing Dragonfly and Fiery Skipper

Today's lunchtime was spent in Southboro, looking at a couple "good" butterfly sights and some new ones for potential subjects.

Eastern Amberwing

What a beauty!  This pose is called "obelisking".   This is one of the smallest dragonflies in North America.

I found a new butterfly to add to my life list - a Fiery Skipper!  It's a "little brown job" (Skipper), but I think it is quite pretty with all its spots.

 Fiery Skipper

According to the Massachusetts Butterfly Club's website, this butterfly is "variably uncommon to rare", with a maximum of 16 seen in any given season in Massachusetts.  Not sure how up to date this information is, but this is the first one I've seen!  It is a migrant.  It can't make it through the cold Massachusetts winters, so it must go elsewhere to survive the winter.

 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

 I keep hoping to see a Giant Swallowtail, but so far I have not been lucky.

Least Skipper (so tiny and cute)

 Painted Lady

Monarch

This white butterfly bush is finally bringing them in!  


No comments:

Post a Comment