Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Juvenile Northern Cardinals

The local cardinal family brought their juveniles over to a large patch of pokeweed in my backyard (weeds are always good for something!) to feed on some ripe berries.  This was the first I've seen of their family!  I saw at least one boy and one girl, but I'm not sure if there were others...

The typical clutch size is 2-5 eggs.  It was wonderful to see them!

Juvenile Male Northern Cardinal

 Juvenile Female Northern Cardinal



Got one! 

 Rats!  I dropped it in the leaves!  Do you think she noticed?

The parents stayed nearby at all times, and when I went out on the deck to try to get closer, there were immediate alarm calls and a general evacuation of the area.  The above photos were all taken through the window.











No comments:

Post a Comment