Saturday, September 12, 2015

Brookline Bird Club Field Trip

I went on my first field trip with the BBC today.  Nick Paulson was the trip leader.  I have so much trouble with confusing fall warblers, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to bird with experts and also to learn about the Westborough Wildlife Management Area birding trails.   The day started out with dense fog, and the sun didn't burn through til nearly 11AM.  I was really desperate to take photos of the beautiful dew-covered grasses and spider webs, but I didn't want to miss out on any birds either.



 Common Yellowthroat


 Small-Flowered False Foxglove (native)





 Red-Eyed Vireo

 Cedar Waxwing

Pixie Cups Lichen (I think)

 Sumac

 Forked Bluecurl (native)

I wish I had worked harder at photographing this sweet little flower.  I only took one shot, and I don't like it but am including it in order to remember this new-to-me wildflower.

 Puffball

 Eastern Wood Peewee

 Yellow-Throated Vireo

Finally, some sunshine!


 Cedar Waxwing


 Belted Kingfisher

 New England Aster (native) and goldenrod

 Highbush-Cranberry (native)

Viceroy

Here are the species we saw that I am able to recall (I'm sure Nick will have a much more complete list, plus he saw and heard more than I did!):

  1. American Crow
  2. American Goldfinch
  3. American Redstart
  4. American Robin
  5. Belted Kingfisher
  6. Black-Capped Chickadee
  7. Black-Throated Green Warbler
  8. Blackpoll Warbler
  9. Blue Jay
  10. Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
  11. Bobolink
  12. Broad-winged Hawk
  13. Brown-Headed Cowbird
  14. Canada Goose
  15. Cedar Waxwing
  16. Common Yellowthroat
  17. Downy Woodpecker
  18. Eastern Phoebe
  19. Eastern Towhee
  20. Eastern Wood Peewee
  21. Gray Catbird
  22. Great Blue Heron
  23. Gull species
  24. Hairy Woodpecker
  25. Hooded Merganser
  26. House Finch
  27. House Sparrow
  28. Indigo Bunting
  29. Mallard
  30. Mourning Dove
  31. Northern Cardinal
  32. Northern Flicker
  33. Northern Mockingbird
  34. Northern Parula
  35. Red-Eyed Vireo
  36. Red-Tailed Hawk
  37. Red-Winged Blackbird
  38. Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
  39. Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
  40. Song Sparrow
  41. Swallow species
  42. Swamp Sparrow
  43. Trail's Flycatcher (either Alder or Willow)
  44. Tufted Titmouse
  45. Warbling Vireo
  46. White-Breasted Nuthatch
  47. Wood Duck
  48. Yellow Warbler
  49. Yellow-Throated Vireo
I hope to be participating in more Brookline Bird Club field trips in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment