Monday, January 27, 2014

Norm!

When I pulled into the parking lot at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land, I had the urge to yell "Norm!".   Everyone at Cheers (television sitcom) would yell "Norm" when he, a regular to the bar, would walk in the door.  My "Norm" was for my friend the Northern Mockingbird, regularly perched in the thicket next to the parking lot.  Actually, NORM is a pretty good nickname for this bird.   I just looked up the alpha abbreviation code for this bird, but it is NOMO.  I thought it might be NORM, which would be hilarious.  Or would it be hilarious?  I may be turning into a bit of a bird nerd....

Northern Mockingbird


Today was a warm interlude between icy cold days of the polar vortex.   It rained hard most of the morning, but I was determined to get out to hike at lunchtime regardless of the weather.  Luckily for me, the rain stopped.  It was about 43 degrees and the skies looked threatening, but I had a beautiful hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land without any rain!  It was so good to get out and move again!  It felt like Spring, but we all know the polar temperatures will be back again tomorrow.  I was glad it wasn't too slippery!

During the first half of my hike, the sun was peeking out through "holes" in the clouds, causing rays to shine down through the clouds.  I was too lazy to change my camera lens so I didn't take any pictures of it, but believe me when I say it was beautiful!

As I was leaving Breakneck Hill, I did take the time to change my lens and take this photo of the scenery with the beautiful, threatening clouds above.



Red-Tailed Hawk

I didn't see any "first of year" birds like I did over the weekend, but this hike was so much more enjoyable than birding from the car, or making quick stops and immediately getting back into the car.  That just isn't as good as breathing in the fresh air and feeling the wind against your face.   There's something about being out there that is so refreshing to the spirit.  I really needed it.

American Robin - 5
Black-Capped Chickadee - 2
Blue Jay - 5
Dark Eyed Junco - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Mourning Dove - 8
Northern Mockingbird - 2
Red Tailed Hawk - 2
Tufted Titmouse - 2

No sign of the fox or the rabbit!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to share one of your pictures on the Southborough blog mysouthborough.com. It would be a short story pointing people to your blog and its beautiful photography of nature at Breakneck Hill farm.

    If that's OK with you, please let me know. You can email mysouthborough@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI - my name is beth, not susan! I just can't seem to get the blog to recognize new name on the account!

      Delete