Sunday, November 18, 2012

Birding w/ Jack Frost at Great Meadows NWR

I planned on a morning hike in Concord today, hoping to catch that nice golden light of early sunrise.  Got up at 6 and was at the refuge shortly after 7AM.  I was the only car in the parking lot, but some walkers and joggers soon passed me on the dike trail.   It was very frosty - 25 degrees - but warmed up nicely as the sun  moved higher in the sky.






Downy Woodpecker





American Coot






Canada goose


Canada geese




Mute Swans


Canada Geese

I read a fan post recently on Old Farmer's Almanac's Facebook page which related the following Creek Native American tradition:  "If migrating geese fly in a perfect V formation, it will be a mild winter.  If the V is raggedy, it will be a cold winter."   So, are these Vs perfect or raggedy?






Mute Swans





Song Sparrow

Accipiter (prob. female Cooper's Hawk)
life bird!

I think this accipiter just  made an attempt to catch the red squirrel below.  There was a lot of screeching, and it was coming from the squirrel!

Red Squirrel (aka hawk bait)


Mink!

a little closer

Downy woodpecker


American Tree Sparrow


Song Sparrow 


Hooded Merganser (female)


poss. Swamp Sparrow





Mallards

Goldfinches


Black-capped Chickadee


Vesper's Sparrow
(altho no white visible on tail in this position)
life bird!

4 comments:

  1. Great photos. Are you by any chance related to Frank (about 70)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. Yes, Fran (of Westboro) is my husband's uncle.

      Delete
  2. So nice to see your frosty morning photos. I've been longing to get out there these last few days, but a busy schedule has intervened. Thanks for the vicarious adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Cherrie! Your blog and Larry Warfield's blog do that for me. I was really hoping to see the Bittern, but it wasn't meant to be! I still hope to make it to one of your monthly walks soon!

      Delete