Saturday, September 5, 2015

Butterfly Census at Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary

I participated in this butterfly census last year, and it was a highlight of the butterfly season for me.  I knew I wanted to go back this year, but I wasn't sure I would be able to with college move-in falling on the same weekend.  It worked out, though, except for the fact that it is 8:15PM, and the packing is just beginning.  :)

I was a little late arriving, and the group had gone on to the grasslands already.  It took me some time to catch up with them, but eventually I did, and I was in time for the best part of walking side by side through the meadows as monarchs, sulphurs and occasional swallowtails lifted up from the grasses in front of us.  Truly magical.  I wish there was a way to capture that in a photo.

We saw over 400 monarchs, a beautiful sight to see and so shocking compared to the occasional individual that I might come across at home.  I probably took 400 photos of the 400 monarchs, but I will try to pick only my favorites.  It's hard to narrow it down!

 Monarch

 again

 Zabulon Skipper (male)

 Zabulon Skipper (female)

Summer Azure



 Eastern Tailed-Blue


 Painted Lady

Red-Banded Hairstreak

 American Copper

 Red-Banded Hairstreak

 Sigh.  What a beauty!  And a life butterfly for me!

After lunch, we walked through neighboring Sylvan Nursery, a local plant nursery that welcomes Mass Butterfly Club field trippers.  The combination of beautiful blooms with beautiful butterflies is such a treat.


 Broad-Winged Skipper







 American Lady


 Black Swallowtail

 ditto

 Clouded Sulphur







No comments:

Post a Comment