Sunday, August 11, 2013

Morning Walk at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

I thought it was about time to visit Great Meadows.  I haven't been since spring when I checked on the nesting Yellow Warbler.  I later read on line that although she did lay eggs, she was unsuccessful in raising any babies, and disappeared about mid-June after a flooding rainstorm.

I did not carry my binoculars today, so it was closeup, or nothing!  Here are the highlights:

Purple Loosestrife

Purple Loosestrife is an invasive species, but it does add beautiful color to the sides of the paths.

Common Evening Primrose


 Marsh Wren


Ruby-Throated Hummingbird


Eastern Pondhawk (male)


Eastern Leopard Frog (I think)


American Lotus 


Northern Water Snake


Great Blue Heron, preening





No comments:

Post a Comment