Sunday, August 18, 2013

Local Butterflies

It was overcast this afternoon when I took a walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.  It was warm enough, though, so I hoped to see some butterflies.

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 

I thought it was odd how this butterfly faded.  The forewings are pale and worn, but the center and rear wings are bright still.



Common Ringlets (mating)


Eastern Tailed Blue

This was the tiniest butterfly I have ever seen.  It was very hard to keep an eye on it when it was flying.  It was about the size of my pinkie fingernail.   I wish the photo gave better perspective of its size, but it doesn't.

Eastern Tailed Blue

Complete list:

Black Swallowtail 2
Cabbage White 1
Common Ringlet 3
Common Wood Nymph 3
Eastern Tailed Blue 6
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 1




2 comments:

  1. Great Pictures Dawn. I imagine that the forewings of a butterfly tend to brish against leaves and grasses more than the rear wings, knocking scales off in the process. Certainly the forewings seem to become ragged more than the rear wings. I notice that a bird or something has taken a bite out of the tail of the swallowtail.
    I wonder if your Common Ringlets are the same butterfly as our Small Heaths? They certainly look very similar.
    I love your Eastern Tailed Blue. Little butterflies like that are so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! I'm going to look up Small Heath and see how it compares.

      Delete