Saturday, August 10, 2013

Juniper Hairstreaks

My plan today was to drive to World's End, in Hingham, MA to see if I could find the Juniper Hairstreaks that were reported last week there by two members of the Massachusetts Butterfly Club.  I had emailed Bruce to request information about where on the reservation they had found them, and he had graciously provided me with links to World's End, a recommended path to walk and a Google map he created to show exactly where they had found the hairstreaks.  How could I go wrong?  As long as the hairstreaks were still active, I couldn't miss.  Since it rained heavily all day yesterday, I knew that if the hairstreaks were still around, they would definitely be out and active.

But.....since I was up early, I had an hour to spare so I took a hike at Breakneck Hill from 8-9AM before I headed to Hingham.  I saw a lot of the regular suspects, but I was lucky to get some nice views of some fresh beauties, and that made it a very enjoyable hike!

Spicebush Swallowtail


Gray Hairstreak


Peck's Skipper

Most of the thistle has gone to seed, but this one was still blooming and attracting butterflies.


This is my favorite corner of the meadow.  There is so much in bloom, and it's all so pretty blended together!

Clouded Sulphur


Eastern Tailed Blue
(worn and missing its tails)


Black Swallowtail


So, it was a great start to the day.  Now, it took about an hour to get to Hingham, but luckily I did not get mixed up in any beach traffic, so I was at World's End shortly after 10:00.  I hiked for about two hours, but a good portion of that was standing in place taking photographs of Juniper Hairstreaks!


This was the view the first time the trail opened up to the water.


Juniper Hairstreak

This was the first one I spotted.  I was not satisfied.  I wanted to see and photograph one with more green coloring.

Cabbage White

I loved the Cabbage White on Queen Anne's Lace.  Monochromatic, but beautiful!

White-Tailed Deer

I was surprised to come across a deer so late in the morning, and it appears that she was equally surprised by me!


Juniper Hairstreak on Juniper 
(its namesake)


A green one!  Now that's what I'm talking about!


Summer Azure


Cabbage Whites on Joe Pye Weed



Right across from the Joe Pye Weed, there was another bunch of Queen Anne's Lace, and it was attracting a lot of Juniper Hairstreaks, some with two or three on a bloom at once.








Did I mention this is a life butterfly for me?

Clouded Sulphur


Zabulon Skipper (female)


Zabulon Skipper (Male)


Orange Sulphur


American Copper


Snowy Egret

Thanks to Bruce and Greg of the Mass Butterfly Club, I enjoyed adding a new butterfly to my life list and a wonderful hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment