Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mass Butterfly Club Westboro WMA Walk

I signed up for a Mass Butterfly Club guided walk today in Shrewsbury and Westboro.  This 4 hour field trip resulted in five life butterflies for me, which was very productive!

I sprayed for ticks at the beginning and then lightly sprayed for mosquitos and left my insect repellant in my car.  We carpooled to various spots, so I did not return to my car.  The deer flies and mosquitoes were quite persistent by the end of the walk and by that point, most of any bug spray I had used had long since been sweated off in the humidity.  We had a good-sized group, close to 15, and saw some nice butterflies, beautiful Canada lilies, and a Common Yellowthroat, Cedar Waxwings, a Baltimore Oriole, Red-tailed Hawk, and Eastern Kingbirds too.  It was lovely to be out on a sunny day again, but the humidity was brutal!

First, we walked the power line trail in Shrewsbury.  It was hot, hot, hot.

Crossline Skipper



American Copper


Wild Indigo Duskywing


Eastern-Tailed Blue


Eastern Tiger Swallowtail


Canada Lilies



Delaware Skipper (life butterfly)



Summer Azure


Appalachian Brown


Wild Indigo Duskywings ~~ mating


Canada Lily


Next, we drove over to Sudbury Valley Trustee's properties and walked the Crane Swamp trail (I think) on the Westboro/Northboro line.  The bugs were bad here, but I saw most of my life butterflies here.  You have to take the good with the bad!  Next time, I will carry spray!

Northern Pearly-Eye (life butterfly)

Steve set up his scope so that we could all get a closeup view of this beauty!


Canada Lily


Broad-winged Skipper (life butterfly)


Mulberry Wing Skipper (life butterfly)
The orange marking on the wing looks like a jet airplane, making it an easy one to remember!


Pearl Crescent


Banded Hairstreak


Striped Hairstreak


Appalachian Brown


Little Wood Satyr


Mulberry Wing Skipper


Appalachian Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment