Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Post Nemo Attempts at Birding

I stopped at Hopkinton State Park this morning to watch the sunrise. The access road was only partially plowed, so it was less than 2 full lanes, but luckily no one was driving out as I went in.



About a dozen Canada geese took off and flew west out of the park.  The only other bird I saw was a male Northern Cardinal, although I did hear a couple of Tufted Titmice.



This afternoon I stopped again at Hopkinton State Park hoping to find a little bird activity in the trees.  Someone was working to widen the access road.  I didn't see any birds, so I decided to drive over to Farm Pond and see if the water had opened up in these warm temps (40s).  The water had thawed quite a bit, but the parking lot was still completely snowed in.  No stopping there.....so I drove into Cushing Memorial Park, where there was parking available.

House Sparrows and Black-Capped Chickadees were eating cracked corn that had been thrown on the snow.   A White-Breasted Nuthatch was in a tree in front of the chapel, and I spotted two Red-Tailed Hawks soaring high above the park.

 House Sparrow (female)


 House Sparrows (male)


 Preening

Black-Capped Chickadee



Red-Tailed Hawk

I wonder who feeds the birds at Cushing?

No comments:

Post a Comment