Saturday, August 24, 2013

More Local Butterflies

I stopped at the Lake Chauncy Beach parking lot in Westboro and walked along the side of the road checking the Joe Pye Weed for butterflies.  I didn't find any butterflies, but I did see several interesting things.

Grasshopper

Common Arrowhead (love this!)

Thread-waisted Wasp

Common Ground-Nut (this was neat looking too)


Next, I stopped at Crane Swamp Trail in Westboro but did end up spending more time in the meadow than in the woods.  Oops.  So much for my plans!

Ruby Meadowhawk


Thanks to Greg D. for help with this identification!

Great Spangled Fritillary

Great Spangled Fritillary

Blue Dasher (female) 
(best guess)

Zabulon Skipper (female)

Eastern Comma

My last stop of the day was to walk at Sherborn Power Lines, taking the trail through the woods from Fessenden Field.

Indigo Bunting (juvenile)

Eastern Tailed Blue 
(the most common butterfly sighting on this walk)





Tufted Titmouse
"I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Silver Spotted Skipper

Snowberry Clearwing Moth

On my way in, at the edge of the woods where the trail opens up onto the power lines, I saw a flash of an orange butterfly leave this horse manure.  I made sure to check the manure again on my way out.  Can you spot the butterfly?


It flew off as I approached, again, but this time I saw it land in a nearby fern.  Too bad it wasn't fully visible because it was fresh and lovely.

Question Mark (winter form)


Spicebush Swallowtail

As I climbed up the hill back toward Fessenden Field, I noticed that last butterfly sunning itself on top of the ferns at the side of the trail.  The poor thing was quite worn and tattered.


No comments:

Post a Comment