Thursday, August 1, 2013

Greedy Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

This morning before work, I drove through Wildwood Cemetery, looking for wildlife.  I did see a White-Tailed Deer run off into the woods, but aside from that, it was very quiet there.  The only birds of interest were a couple of Northern Flickers and Chipping Sparrows.

Next, I drove over to Southboro to check my Parkerville Road stop.  Here I saw two Red-Tailed Hawks, three Mourning Doves, a Belted Kingfisher, three Mallards, 20+ Canada Geese, one Mute Swan, several Blue Jays, House Sparrows, Barn Swallows, and American Robins, one Cardinal, one Gray Catbird, and one Downy Woodpecker.  I didn't come home with any good photos, so I didn't consider it a successful outing, but after writing down everything I saw, it doesn't sound too bad.

Downy Woodpecker

There were two neat black and yellow Garden Spiders in their huge webs among the only remaining high grass along the water.  I think they are cool from a distance, but I'd hate to walk through one of their webs accidentally!



At lunchtime, I found a cute little male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird guarding my hummingbird feeder from the shepherd's hook from which it hangs.  It is almost seven hours later, and he is still out there, leaving from time to time if he sees activity in the house or to chase another hummingbird away from "his" feeder.

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment