Monday, August 5, 2013

Cooler Day at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

I was up and out by 6:30 AM for a nice, cool walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land in Southboro.  A sweatshirt was required in the beginning, but I took it off before the hour was up.  Dew was on the grass.  Birds were in the air.  One Common Wood Nymph struggled across the path and then landed on some grass and decided it was too early to go any further.

Common Wood Nymph


White Campion




This House Finch was feeding a fledgling, but I never could frame a photo with both of them in it at the same time.  It was fun to watch though!


Northern Flicker


Eastern Bluebird (juvenile)



The photo that I wish I had, but missed, was a ruby-throated hummingbird nectaring on a meadow wildflower.  It was such a treat to witness it.  I love hummingbirds, but I classify my sightings by 1) hummingbird feeder; 2) nectaring at a garden flower; and 3) nectaring in nature.  Number 3 is my favorite type of sighting and is much rarer and therefore more special!  

On the last hill before the parking lot, the apple trees were just filled with flashes of bluebirds.  You gotta love that kind of start to your morning!  Colorful, beautiful, peaceful and healthful!

(Click for a closer view)

I went back at 1:30 PM for an afternoon walk.  Beside the temperature being in the 70s and the lack of humidity, you can sense a seasonal shift towards Fall in the meadows.  There is lots of dry grass.  Goldenrod is dominating the meadows with its blooms.  The thistle is pretty much gone by.  There were definitely fewer butterflies to be found.  Barn swallows were flying low over the meadow grasses, sometimes flying so close to me it made me wonder if they didn't see me until the last moment.



Black Swallowtail

Eastern Tailed Blue

Chipping Sparrow

Eastern Tailed Blue 8
Black Swallowtail 3
Common Ringlet 11
Common Wood Nymph 2
Peck's Skipper 1
Orange Sulphur 2
Clouded Sulphur 3
Cabbage White 2


No comments:

Post a Comment