Wednesday, March 18, 2015

No Luck at Rookery

I don't often include a record of the times that I go out and come back empty-handed.  Tonight was one of those nights.

I drove over to Concord to check out the Great Blue Heron rookery there.  This particular rookery (communal nests) is in a swamp right on Route 62.  There are cemeteries on either side of it, which allow you to get somewhat close for viewing (except when there is deep snow).   Great Blue Herons typically use the same nests over and over again until the trees collapse.

Here is a link to my visit last year in late March when Great Blue Herons were present on the nests.

My reason for stopping here was twofold.  A few years ago, I witnessed a pair of Great Blue Herons attempting to build a nest in early March, so I thought maybe I would find some activity in the rookery  (even though everything seems late this year because of all the snow).  My second reason was that I thought I might have a chance to add a Great Horned Owl sighting because they are known to use heron nests.  That didn't pan out either.

The sunset through the rookery was pretty.  I'll have to be satisfied with that!






No comments:

Post a Comment