Thursday, March 5, 2015

Jack Frost was Here

Birds were very active in the yard today.  Two male cardinals pursued a female cardinal, while she pretended disinterest in both of them.  Dark-Eyed Juncos were chasing each other from tree to tree.  A couple American Robins ate the last few berries on the Oriental Bittersweet.   Bluebirds are still visiting, and I saw almost twenty out front today, but they didn't stay long.  They are regular visitors to the mealworm tray as are the Juncos, American Robins, Black-Capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and Carolina Wrens.  I have had an occasional Northern Cardinal come to the mealworms, too, although only in really nasty weather.

 Eastern Bluebird (male)

 Eastern Bluebird (female)

 Carolina Wren
(also looking disgusted with the snow!)

The wren had found some mealworms that had blown off the tray and into a hole in the snow.

Pine Siskin

a trio

Northern Cardinal (male)

Northern Cardinal (female)

American Robin

I took a walk at the Rural Cemetery in Southboro, but boy, was it windy and cold!   Sometimes I can spot a bird from a good distance just by its general silhouette.  This shape fooled me though!  I would have sworn it was a woodpecker!


I also spotted this mysterious pink stringy thing growing high up in one of the oak trees.  I hope one of my readers knows what it is!


and a closer view

 Frost decorated the edges of some of the cemetery's roads.  I see so few signs of Jack Frost.  I was glad not to miss this!



No comments:

Post a Comment