Monday, August 4, 2014

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird at BHCL

I took my lunchtime walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land, still hoping for monarch sightings.  I didn't see any though.  Before I left, I spotted a nice butterfly along the edge of my driveway.

Gray Hairstreak

Here are the birds and bugs that caught my eye at BHCL:

Great Spangled Fritillary

This beauty flew out of the meadow grasses and landed on the trail right next to me, where it proceeded to spread its wings as if to say, "Take my photo please."

Gray Catbird


 Common Ringlet

Northern Flicker


 Eastern Tailed-Blue


 Eastern Phoebe


 Peck's Skipper

 Sumac
Looking very pretty at this time of year.

 Trogus Pennator Wasp

I was just getting into my car when I heard a slight buzz and saw motion out of my peripheral vision.  A hummingbird had just flown into the butterfly garden at the side of the parking lot.  I pulled out my camera and snapped off a few rounds to see if I could catch it without spooking it.  There was another car between us, which helped, until the owner deactivated the alarm!

 (Sitting on a monarch leaf, about to sip from the bee balm.)



Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Oh, last night I left the deck light on for about 20 minutes and attracted this pretty moth.

Pale Metanema Moth


No comments:

Post a Comment