Saturday, August 23, 2014

Giant Swallowtail at Drumlin Farm

Today was mostly cloudy.  They were pretty clouds, but I wasn't feeling terribly optimistic about my chances with finding good butterflies.  Apparently, though, there was enough sunshine to bring out the butterflies.

This week two Giant Swallowtails were reported at Mass Audubon's Drumlin Farm, so that's where I decided to go in search of butterflies.

The view west from the drumlin


There were a lot of these feathers around the top of the drumlin.   I wonder what happened?

American Carrion Beetle

Nymph - Green Stink Bug
(so pretty)

Common Ringlet

When I finally made my way through the meadows to the flower field, the first thing I saw was a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird!



See those clouds!?



Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

American Goldfinch

This was a fledgling American Goldfinch.  The parents were nearby and were feeding it, but they took off when they noticed me and things got very quiet.  I only included this photo because I like the way the bird is perched on the forked branch, one foot on each branch of the fork.  I think it was tentative about making its way around the branches, and it was probably still finding it a challenge!

Peck's Skipper


Cabbage White on lavender

Great Spangled Fritillaries

closeup of one

I had nearly given up on seeing a Giant Swallowtail, my goal in coming to this particular flower field.   Next thing I knew, when the sun came out again, one appeared!

Giant Swallowtail, nectaring

again, resting

Cosmos!

Gorgeous!

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Great Spangled Fritillary


Cicada Killer (just out of its hole)

Black Swallowtail

Meanwhile, at home, I noticed a Goldfinch in the thistle out back and when I went out to take some photos, I found a moth on the screen door.

Researching...

American Goldfinch

I think there is a tick embedded just behind its eye.


Then, I saw a blur of two small orange butterflies dog fighting in the backyard.  One landed on the oak tree, so I grabbed the camera again and went out to inspect.  A Harvester!   Yippee!

Harvester

gorgeous!!

1 comment:

  1. Great variety of butterflies alll looking in lovely condition. The farm looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete