Sunday, August 3, 2014

Afternoon Walk at BHCL

Today was dark and overcast most of the day.  Mid-afternoon I couldn't stand it any longer and headed over to Breakneck Hill Conservation Land in spite of the poor light and conditions (not good for butterflies or photographs).  About halfway through my walk, it sprinkled lightly, but shortly after that, the sun came out!

These are the things which caught my eye:

Blue Vervain

Northern Flicker

Eastern Tailed-Blue

 Pearl Crescent on a cow patty
(They're not always nectaring on flowers!)

 Queen Anne's Lace

 again
(Note the beautiful sky....)

House Sparrow in the corn in the community garden

 Horace's Duskywing

 House Wren

 Eastern Tailed-Blue

 Green Lacewing

 Dogbane Beetle

 Showy Tick Trefoil

 Great Spangled Fritillary

 Banded Hairstreak

 Black-Capped Chickadee

 Common Wood Nymph

 Eastern Phoebe

 and the day improves....

I saw one beautiful, fresh Monarch flying at the top of the first hill as I was heading out.

 Halloween Pennant

 Snowberry Clearwing Moth

I nearly forgot to mention that I saw two different Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds nectaring at jewelweed.  One was in front of the wetlands, and the other was off the path where the thickets grow.  I've seen them nectar at this "weed" in my own yard, and it gave me new respect for the plant!

On my way home, I stopped briefly at Marathon Park in Ashland and found this cute damselfly watching me from one of the benches.  I think it's a female Familiar Bluet.

Powdered Dancer
(Thanks to Chris H. on Northeast Odonata FB Page for ID!)

No comments:

Post a Comment