Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Great Blue Heron at Ice Pond

I walked at Beals Preserve in Southboro at lunchtime.  I was hoping to see a Green Heron, since I have not yet seen one this year and one has recently been reported there.  I know a place I could go to "get" a Green Heron, but it would be nicer to see one at one of my local spots.  Not today, my friend, not today.

Birds seen or heard:

Cedar Waxwing 3
Common Grackle 1
Common Yellowthroat (singing) 1
Great Blue Heron 2
Indigo Bunting (singing) 1
Northern Flicker 1 (but I suspect it has a nest hole in a tree across the pond)
Song Sparrow 4
Yellow Warbler 1

Ice Pond


Yellow Pond-Lily

Eastern Painted Turtle
enjoying the sun

Several turtles were trapped here on May 11 as part of the Beals Preserve wildlife survey being coordinated by the Southboro Open Land Foundation.  One turtle was removed for surgery on an ear abscess and is currently recovering.  The turtles ready for release back into the pond had numbers painted on their shells so that if they are seen again, we will know they were part of the survey.   

Great Blue Heron

Canada Mayflowers

I also saw Wild Geranium, Solomon's Seal, Buttercups, Starflowers and Greater Celandine.

Song Sparrow

Song sparrows were very busy gathering food to take to their nest.

likewise
(Doesn't its expression make you think bird parenting is stressful?)

Cedar Waxwing
(being uncooperative for photos)

Yellow Warbler
(being cooperative for photos!)

I saw my first dragonfly at home as well as my first damselfly.  I was only able to get a photo of the dragonfly, a Common Whitetail.

Common Whitetail

After work, I took a walk with Donna at Hopkinton State Park.  It almost looked like we might be rained out, but it blew past.  There were dog walkers, a kayaker, a swimmer (!), and cyclists all enjoying the park facilities.


We saw Pink Ladyslippers all along the trail we took.  It was amazing.   We quickly lost count, but easily had over 30.   We also saw Bluet, Starflower, Canada Mayflower and Wild Sasparilla, quite a nice showing of native wildflowers!



 This one seemed extra saturated.

Eastern Kingbird

Birds seen:

Black-Capped Chickadee
Canada geese (and goslings)
Chipping Sparrow
Eastern Kingbird
Red-Tailed Hawk
Tufted Titmouse
Warbling Vireo

No comments:

Post a Comment