Thursday, May 1, 2014

Barn Swallow at Chestnut Hill Farm

This day started out with heavy rain and dark gray skies.  The rain let up enough for a lunchtime hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land, but I didn't get any good photos.  I saw the following birds:

American Robin
Blue Jay
Brown-Headed Cowbird
Chipping Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Bluebird
Eastern Phoebe
European Starling
House Sparrow
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Northern Flicker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Red-Winged Blackbird
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Tree Swallow

Eastern Bluebird

On the way home, a coyote was running towards the road but then did a U-turn and headed back through the yard and into the woods.  After checking for someone behind me, I stopped, pulled out the camera and managed one quick shot before it disappeared into the woods.

Coyote

Around 5:00, the sun suddenly decided to make an appearance, and the temperature started rising.  Strange day!  Anyway, my son was agreeable to postponing dinner for a while, so I took off for an evening hike.  I walked at TTOR's Chestnut Hill.  I was surprised to find dozens of Cabbage Whites flying over the meadows.  In the summer, this would not be big deal, but today it was!  I stopped counting at 65, and was only about 1/2 way across the meadow.

I continued my walk through the woods, where I found three nice things:  nesting American Robin, Marsh Marigolds and a Spring Azure.  The robin flushed from its nest, so I couldn't get a photo of it sitting on it.  I went back after I made my loop and tried to sneak up on it, but she was very watchful.  The Spring Azure also performed a disappearing act.   I watched it fly off and thought I saw where it landed, but I couldn't find it again!  


The Marsh Marigolds were so pretty and my first wildflowers outside of Garden in the Woods.  A very nice surprise!

Marsh Marigold





It was the kind of hike where you needed to keep your mouth firmly shut.  Otherwise, you might end up with some extra protein from all the flying insects!  Even so, it was definitely the best part of the day!


I saw the following birds:

American Robin
Black-Capped Chickadee
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (call only)
Eastern Bluebird
Eastern Phoebe
Red-Winged Blackbird
Song Sparrow
Tree Swallow
Tufted Titmouse

On the way down Chestnut Hill Street, I had to stop and snap a photo of a Barn Swallow that was perched on the telephone wire!  First sighting this year.

Barn Swallow

I picked up the 2nd tick of the year here, but at least it didn't bite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment