Saturday, May 3, 2014

Birding at Purgatory Chasm State Reservation

I walked Charley's Loop, around the chasm, to see if I could find some good spring migrants.  I was able to find the Blue-Headed Vireo that had recently been posted on Central Mass Birders Facebook page.  I listened to its song and watched it high in the canopy until my neck hurt!

Blue-Headed Vireo (life bird!)

While I was stopped watching the Blue-Headed Vireo, I was also entertained by my first of the year Black-and-White Warbler.

Black-and-White Warbler

Can you see the bird in the next photo?  I thought it had great camouflage.  I saw it fly in, and then could barely pick it out.

Brown-Headed Cowbird
(female)

 Ovenbird

Wood Anemone

American Robin w/ nesting materials

Eastern Phoebe

From here, I made a quick stop at River Bend Farm in Uxbridge, MA where highlights included  Yellow, Palm, and Black-and-White Warblers!

Bluets

Yellow Warbler

singing

sigh...I love these little shots of yellow!

Savannah Sparrow

Palm Warbler

ditto

Black-and-White Warbler

In the afternoon, my friend Gerri and I visited Tower Hill Botanic Garden, where we skimmed through the primrose show and spent a bit more time at the daffodil show before checking out the daffodil fields outdoors.  They were absolutely gorgeous!

Here are my favorites.  (I did not take notes on any names, so I hope you just enjoy the variety.)























Blood Root

 Still not enough sun to fully open the Bloodroot....







No comments:

Post a Comment