Sunday, May 4, 2014

Evening Hike at Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary

I had just about one hour to spend at Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary tonight in Norfolk, MA.

I just do not recognize female Red-Winged Blackbirds.  I saw one tonight, watched it picking through a muddy area at the edge of the water, and was sure I had a new bird (at least for my 2014 list).  I thought maybe it was an American Pipit.  Granted, I haven't seen that bird more than twice, and usually at a distance, but.....it was definitely not a match.  I was looking through the sparrow section of my bird guide when it suddenly hit me.  Red-Winged Blackbird.  Female.  I've been fooled by it before.  Fooled again.

Red-Winged Blackbird 
female

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Cardinal

Eastern Kingbird

Common Yellowthroat




Yellow Warbler

Great Blue Heron

Palm Warbler


I enjoyed this hike, after a gusty, cloudy day with very little hope of seeing birds.  It was nice to get such close views of several types of warblers, as well as the Eastern Kingbirds.  The wind kept the may flies at bay, which was a plus, too.  Maybe I'll recognize female Red-Winged Blackbirds next year...  Who knows?  LOL.

Wildflower note:  Marsh Marigolds are blooming near the waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment