Saturday, March 1, 2014

Great Meadows NWR

I tried out my new Kahtoola Microspikes at Great Meadows NWR today.  The trail was packed snow with icy spots, and it was all slick, but I enjoyed great traction and was able to walk without fear of slipping.   They were easy to put on and take off.  So far, so good!   It was great to be able to walk at near normal speed and put some miles on.  They do make some noise as they crunch through the snow, but wildlife was probably pretty scarce today anyway.

Hooded Merganser (male)
at the boat ramp


A work of art!

 Black-Capped Chickadee
AND BUDS ON THE TREE!!!!!

Song Sparrow




 More art!



Near Lumber Trail, I heard a Barred Great Horned Owl calling.  I couldn't believe it in the middle of the afternoon.  It probably called 7-8 times and eventually attracted some crows.  I tried really hard to find it, but didn't have any luck.  After I gave up on the owl and continued on the trail back towards the parking lot, I flushed a White-Tailed Deer in the woods.  Once I got on the wider trail that leads back to the road, I found myself behind the small herd of pygmy goats, out for a winter walk.  They are cute, but they definitely decorated the snow.






1 comment:

  1. It's great to see the first signs of spring. I wonder how you control a herd of pygmy goats. I would have thought that if they decided to go and explore the woods there would be no stopping them!

    ReplyDelete