Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Downy Woodpeckers

I visited Rural Cemetery in Southboro today.  I had a nice chat with a woman who works there.  She told me a variety of nature sightings she'd had there.  While I was there, I saw:

American Robin
Blue Jay
Dark-Eyed Junco
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Cardinal
Northern Flicker
Tufted Titmouse

I saw two Downy Woodpeckers showing territorial display behavior in the woods.  I wasn't able to catch a photo of both of them in action, but it was still fun to watch it.  Basically, one would get too near the other, and this was followed by wing flapping, tail spreading, bill pointing and general scuffling.  One would fly off, and the other would chase it, and they would start again.  They took some time out to peck at separate trees, and then they joined in their confrontational behavior again.

Click here to see Downy Woodpeckers and here to see Northern Flickers exhibiting this behavior from last spring.




No comments:

Post a Comment