Thursday, November 21, 2013

Lunch Break at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

Back to Breakneck Hill.  I have to say, this is a rather dull time of year outdoors.  Summer has birds and butterflies and other interesting insects as well as an abundance of light and color.  Early Fall has tropical migrating birds.  As for now, it's hard to build up too much excitement for Black-Capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Northern Cardinals, and White-Breasted Nuthatches.  These are typically in my yard and at my feeder.  Ho Hum.  Those are constants, though, and I guess I should be happy to have them stay and keep me company through the winter.

At least at Breakneck Hill I may stumble across an occasional Eastern Bluebird, or two, or three or a dozen.  And today, I also stumbled across a passing White-Tailed Deer.

Not bad.  Not bad at all!  Guess that'll be enough motivation to keep me walking the trails for at least another day!

Eastern Bluebird



 Tufted Titmouse

 Black-Capped Chickadee

 Blue Jay

I stopped under an apple tree to watch a Downy Woodpecker pecking at an apple that was still hanging in the tree.  While I was stopped there, this deer came up over the hill, stepped easily over the electric fence and continued casually and slowly across the upper meadow into the woods on the other side.  Magical.  Not one minute after he disappeared, a dog walker came up the trail.  Timing is everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment