Sunday, November 3, 2013

Birding ADD

I started the day checking out the Sudbury Reservoir in Southboro.  I had seen a raft of ducks on Friday and had been itching to get back and see if they were still around and what they were.  Success:  it turned out to be Ring-Necked Ducks.  This photo only shows about half of what was there.  Of course, they started swimming away as soon as I parked.


It was dark and started to spit rain, so I didn't stay long at the fields, but I did see a nice variety of birds.

A little later in the morning, I saw a post on Central Mass Birders Facebook Page that a Yellow-Headed Blackbird and a leucistic Red-Winged Blackbird (white bird w/ pink patches instead of black bird with red patches) were spotted in the Westboro Wildlife Management Area.  I couldn't resist trying to get a glimpse of either of those, but failed.  I did see some nice large flocks of blackbirds, met Justin in the field, and saw some nice White-Throated Sparrows.

 Song Sparrow

White-Throated Sparrow

After lunch I took a short walk at Mass Audubon's Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary in Natick.

 Black-Capped Chickadee (holding that berry with his feet while he eats it)

Eastern Bluebird

White-Breasted Nuthatch






Black-Capped Chickadee

 Eastern Bluebirds

 Cedar Waxwings

 Eastern Bluebird


Later tonight I am going to Northbridge to visit Project Owlnet and watch the banding of Saw Whet Owls.  I'll have to report on that tomorrow.  Quite a full birding day!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. You saw some very interesting birds there. They are like smarter versions of birds that occur here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick! I was betting you'd comment on yesterday's post, when I saw a butterfly! You surprised me!

      Delete