Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lunch at Hopkinton State Park

With visions of trees filled with migrating warblers, I headed back to Hopkinton State Park for my lunch break.  My inner voice told me I should know better.  Yesterday morning followed a major storm, with heavy rain, fog, mist and winds.  Of course there'd be a lot of birds.

Before I left home, there were a couple Pine Warblers moving through the trees in front of my office.  That was a good sign.  Hopkinton State Park, on the other hand, was virtually deserted.  I only saw a couple of American Goldfinch and an American Crow.  Not a single warbler.

One lonely Clouded Sulphur flew fast and low over the closely cropped grass bordering the parking lots.  It stopped briefly at every tiny excuse of a flower.  It was pretty slim pickings, and I wondered what happens when the nectar is few and far between.  Do they run out of energy to make it whatever distance is required to the next flower?

Clouded Sulphur

Abandoned hive

Today's trail









Carolina Wren 
(in my neighbor's mulch pile)

No comments:

Post a Comment