Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Checking in at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

This morning, the local birds put on a show out my front window.   I saw Northern Cardinals, a Carolina Wren, a Red-Bellied Woodpecker, American Goldfinches, and American Robins almost all at the same time, which was fun!

The day dawned foggy and gray, and it never really cleared up.  I took my lunch break over at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land in Southboro.

No sun, but the trees are pretty!

Yellow-Rumped Warbler

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

Yellow-Rumped Warbler eating a berry

poss. Purple Finch

ditto

Not sure from this rear view, but I liked the colors in this photo.

 Chipping Sparrow

The biggest surprise was near the end of my walk, when I was getting ready to head for the parking lot, and I spotted a monarch!  I chased after it for a few minutes, literally running!  It was a male, and it stopped to nectar on what looked like goldenrod that had already gone by.  What a treat to see a monarch on October 16th!  I have read on line that they are "late" this year for a variety of reasons, so I'll have to keep an eye out for others!



And away he goes!




2 comments:

  1. Lovely to see the Monarch. The second picture is lovely - it really shows up the colours well. So, is he on his way to Mexico now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope so and hope there's enough late season nectar to get him there.

      Delete