Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wild Turkey at Wildwood Cemetery

The fog was as thick as pea soup this morning.  I grabbed my camera bag and was heading down to the car just as my son was leaving for school, and he said "No pictures today, Mom.  The fog's too thick."  I thought I'd try anyway, and headed to Wildwood Cemetery, where I've had good luck before on a foggy day.

There were squirrels hanging on the two bird feeders that someone had filled with seed.  More was thrown on the ground, and it was attracting squirrels, mourning doves, and blue jays.  Flocks of dark-eyed juncos flew off the edges of the roads as I drove through.  I spotted two white-breasted nuthatches and a downy woodpecker in the trees along the river.

The best sighting and easiest to photograph in this light was Tom Turkey.

You can just about make out my reflection in his eye!  I love those feathers running down his neck.  Beautiful coloring.








Note to self:  I installed a new nyger thistle feeder today in my back yard.  Can't wait to see what birds it will attract!

No comments:

Post a Comment