Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Looking Back (Jan-Apr 2012)

New Butterflies:

I photographed five varieties of butterflies that I had never seen before:  American Copper, Mourning Cloak, Eastern Comma, Long Dash Skipper, and an Eastern Pine Elfin.  

The American Copper is my favorite out of these new ones.  It almost looks red in nature, although in the photos it does look orange.  It is very small and very beautiful!  It was and continues to be thrilling to see them!

The Eastern Comma was memorable because it was in my own back yard, and I wasn't really looking for butterflies when I spotted it.

The Mourning Cloak was fun because my son and I went to a specific Audubon sanctuary in hopes of seeing it, and he spotted it for me.  It is a very cooperative butterfly to photograph, too!

Biggest Surprise:

I caught three different species of birds trying to have a private moment together:  red-tailed hawks at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA (currently nesting in a large pine tree near the entrance); killdeer at Wildwood Cemetery in Ashland, MA; and tree swallows at Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary in Natick, MA.   Have your camera ready!  It doesn't last long!


New Birds:

I have seen a lot of "first" birds and waterfowl since January:  Cedar Waxwing, Common Goldeneye, Golden Crowned kinglet, Green-winged Teal, Hermit Thrush, Northern Harrier, Northern Pintail, Osprey, Pied Billed Grebe, Ring necked Ducks, Wood Duck, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, Yellow Rumped Warbler, and Snowy Owl.

Out of these, I'd say my favorites were the Cedar Waxwings, hands down.  What a BEAUTIFUL bird!  Second place goes to the Pied Bill Grebe, which I had never even heard of before!

New Places:


This blog has taken me to many new places:  (1) Allens Pond Wildlife Refuge, (2) Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary, (3) Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge,  (4) Horseneck Beach State Reservation, (5) Callahan State Park, (6) Chestnut Hill Farm, (7) Halibut Point State Park,  (8) Margaret C. Ferguson Greenhouses, (9) Walkup and Robinson Memorial Reservation, (10) Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary, (11) Whitehall State Park, and the (12) Sherborn Power Lines.  See my "Links" page for web sites, where applicable.


Favorite Photo:

Great blue herons





No comments:

Post a Comment