Saturday, June 4, 2016

Visit to Garden in the Woods

I thought I'd stop at Wildwood Cemetery and see if there was any activity in the nest hole where I had seen the Red-Bellied Woodpecker earlier.  Not a thing.  However, on another trunk of the same tree, there was some activity at a rather large hole.  It turned out to be a Tufted Titmouse nest, with the parents regularly flying in with food for the young.  Eventually, one of the nestlings came high enough out of the hole to be visible in the opening.  He sure looks like he's nearly ready to fledge.




Babies have those bright mouths and throats in order to provide their parents with a good target to place the food they are bringing.  At least that is the theory.  This one looks a little clownish!

On to Garden in the Woods!

  
 Showy Ladyslippers

These were in the idea garden.  I'm glad I stopped by, because I wouldn't have wanted to miss them!

  

Ebony Jewelwing



Ebony Jewelwing
(white dot at wing tips indicates female)

Turkey Beard 
(one of my favorites~so glad I was here when it was peak)

  

 faded Hobomok Skipper


The sunlight coming through the canopy was so beautiful.

  


 Tiger Swallowtail on Golden Alexander


I took an almost identical photo to this one many years ago when I had my first point and shoot!  This was a different location within Garden in the Woods, but the same flower and same dragonfly!


No comments:

Post a Comment