Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Eastern Bluebirds at BHCL

My noontime walk yielded more Eastern Bluebird sightings than anything else.  Of course, I did see my usual Indigo Bunting, but the bluebirds beat him out by cooperating for photos!





 Need more time to research this one!

Northern Cloudywing

Eastern Bluebird

Whorled Yellow-Loosestrife (native)

Eastern Bluebird

Dusted Skipper

Common Ringlet

American Lady

Eastern Bluebird

I also had a possible Monarch sighting, but it flew so fast and far that I couldn't get a good enough look to know for sure whether it was a Monarch or Viceroy.  Exciting nonetheless!

After work, I wanted to check on the rookery on White Bagley Road.  I was surprised to find a good sized patch of Ladyslippers on my way in.  Some were past peak, but it was still beautiful to stumble upon it!


  


The rookery is on an island, a long enough way off shore to stretch my camera's limits!  It is hosting nesting Double-Crested Cormorants and Great Blue Herons.  Those trees are very full!





Still not ready to throw in the towel, I headed over to Farm Pond to see if I could find any Wood Ducks.  I struck out, but it was my first visit this year to Farm Pond, so it was still nice.

Red-Winged Blackbird


Song Sparrow




distant Osprey with a fresh fish!

Still not ready to head for home, because the sky was so pretty, I drove over to Southboro to get some more practice with my tripod and photograph the church against the pretty sky.

    



While I was there, a Red-Tailed Hawk flew into one of my photos of the church (small black speck in left photo above) and a little later, it landed with a freshly caught squirrel in a tree in the cemetery.  I just happened to be there with my camera!

Red-Tailed Hawk with prey

As much as I would have liked to wait for sunset (another hour), I was cold and tired and ready to call it a day.


Good night, Southborough!

No comments:

Post a Comment