Saturday, August 1, 2015

Today's Winged Creatures

Today I took a class in bumblebee identification, in an attempt to gain some confidence in figuring out any bumblebees I'm seeing while at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.  It was interesting! I had no idea that nectar = carbohydrates and pollen = protein, for instance.  Hopefully, I can be of some help in the future.

After our training, we did some field work at BHCL.  While we were still in the parking lot, we happened to see mating carpenter bees that flew off into the sky together.  Also, during this walk, I spotted the following:

Eastern Tailed-Blue

Tachinid Fly

Halloween Pennant

Thick-Headed Fly

 Least Skipper

 Barn Swallows

Gray Hairstreak

Later, I walked at Hopkinton State Park and saw the following:

Zabulon Skipper

Net-wing Beetle


Slaty Skimmer

 Virginia Mountain-Mint (native)

Purple-Headed Sneezeweed (native)

 Pearl Crescent

Zabulon Skipper

American Wild Mint (native)

Allegheny Monkey-Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment