Monday, August 31, 2015

The Birdy Cherry Tree

I got an early start today at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.  It was quiet.  Not much birdsong, birds in sight, or even a bee!


By the time the sun broke out over the trees, though, I had made it to the cherry tree on top of the second hill.  This tree, which is being picked clean of its fruit, is a huge bird magnet.  And you know what they say about birdy trees....once you find one, stop.  Do not continue on in search of something better.  The birdy tree is IT.

While I watched "cherry tree TV", it played host to the following species:

American Robin (juveniles and adult)
Cedar Waxwing
Eastern Bluebird (juveniles)
House Finch
Northern Flicker (juveniles and adult)
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (flew off before I could find it in my viewfinder)


Cedar Waxwing (No chance for a good photo.  They didn't stay long.)


Northern Flicker


And while I stood watching "cherry tree TV", I also saw these other birds in the same area:

Baltimore Oriole
Chipping Sparrow
Common Yellowthroat (I think)
Eastern Phoebe
European Starling
House Wren
Northern Cardinal

House Wren

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Bluebird (juvenile)

House Finch

Chipping Sparrow

Baltimore Oriole


Evening Primrose (still open because it's so early)

I ended up back at BHCL for my lunch break.  Here are the highlights (mostly butterflies) from my 2nd visit:

Eastern Tailed-Blues, mating

 Norm!
Northern Mockingbird


 Ruby Meadowhawk

 Great Spangled Fritillary

Gray Hairstreak



No comments:

Post a Comment