Thursday, February 26, 2015

Puffed Up Bird Contest

Apparently, there was a puffy bird contest today that I did not know about.  Who can get the fattest looking?   Here are the top three contenders.   Which would you pick as the winner?

1.  Mourning Dove

2.  Eastern Bluebird

3.  American Robin

I gave first prize to the robin.  It seemed the biggest to me, even from the back.



This robin was stubbornly guarding the mealworm tray.  He perched on the hook as if to say, "If I have to stay here all day to protect my mealworms, I will.   I can nap right here next to the feeder."

(Now that's a problem!  I prefer bluebirds to visit more than any fat robin!)



Other visitors of the not-quite-so-puffy variety:

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

 American Goldfinch

Dark-Eyed Junco (female)

 Dark-Eyed Junco (male)

 Tufted Titmouse

White-Breasted Nuthatch

And yes, those are snowflakes in some of the pictures.  Don't even ask.  This was the week they said we would not have any storms.  So I guess flurries don't count?


No comments:

Post a Comment