Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Butterflies at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

Today I took my lunchtime hike at Waseeka in Hopkinton.   The reflections in the water were so beautiful!



Here are the other things that caught my eye:

Wildflowers:

Indian Pipe

A lot of people think it's a fungus, but it is a plant.  It is a plant with no chlorophyll, which is why it is not green.


again

Nodding Ladies Tresses

This was a surprise wildflower which I don't remember seeing on past visits to Waseeka.  It is in the orchid family.  

again

Amphibians:



Pickerel Frog (I think)

another

Butterflies:

Pearl Crescent


There were two, and they were doing a courtship dance, chasing each other around.  The female would land and flutter, flutter, flutter while the male approached.  She must not have been interested, though, because eventually the male gave up without mating.

Clouded Sulphur

Gray Hairstreak

Great Spangled Fritillary


Birds:

Eastern Bluebird

possible Pine Warbler 
(yes, I'm guessing because of the tree!)

No comments:

Post a Comment