Thursday, July 17, 2014

Juvenile Red-Bellied Woodpecker at BHCL

I walked at lunchtime and after work today, both times at Breakneck Hill.  No, I am not sick of it.  Yes, I always see something special (at least this time of year!).   Hello to Jim who was mowing the trails today and stopped to talk!

Pearl Crescent (in the parking lot)

American Goldfinch (male) in the Creeping Thistle
(also in the parking lot)

American Goldfinch (female)

Great Spangled Fritillary


I always look at the morning glories, and this was the first time I saw a butterfly inside one.  You can hardly identify it because so little of it is showing!  Here's another photo after it crawled back out.

Little Glassywing

Common Wood Nymph


Eastern Tailed-Blue

Orange Sulphur

American Copper

Chipping Sparrow

Eastern Phoebe

fat American Robin sitting in the trail

Baltimore Oriole

Black Swallowtail

 Long Dash

Little Wood Satyr


Banded Hairstreak

Painted Lichen Moth
(just like one I had at my lights a few nights ago)

Calico Pennant

 Purple Finch

 Viceroy

again

I did see a Monarch in about the same area as before, but once again I was unable to get a photograph.

 Moth - TBD


 Red-Bellied Woodpecker (juvenile) 
w/ parent just to the left

The sky was really dramatic tonight!  I couldn't believe it when I came out of the back meadow (where I was in the shadow of the trees) and saw the wider, open sky again!  Gorgeous!




I always keep my camera on until I get back to my car, because I've found that if I shut it off, inevitably I will see something worth photographing.  This Downy Woodpecker was on the fencepost right at the end of the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment