Thursday, July 10, 2014

Evening Walk at BHCL

Back to the dentist again today, so I couldn't get out to walk until after work.   What a nice day, though, with a break in the humidity.

 Eastern Tailed-Blue

 Twelve-Spotted Skimmer

 Great Spangled Fritillary

 Queen Anne's Lace, looking very lacy

 Tufted Titmouse

Cabbage White

By this time, I was in the back meadow trying to sneak up on a pair of Indigo Buntings that was low in the milkweed near the trail.  Of course, they flew off before I succeeded, but I had fun trying.  


As I turned to make my way back toward the front, I stopped for a few fresh black-raspberries.  Ahead of me on the trail, there was a bird convention going on:  American Robins, Blue Jays, Baltimore Orioles, Northern Cardinals and Northern Flickers were all picking at the grass on the trail.  Why?  What was so wonderful about this particular section?  I don't know, but I felt lucky to see them all!




Northern Cardinal

American Robin (juvenile)

There's a dead tree in the back meadow that at one moment had about 5 Baltimore Orioles (perhaps a young family?) and the Indigo Bunting in it all at once.  Earlier, it had about 4 Northern Flickers in it.  It was just a busy bird night, I guess!


Baltimore Orioles 

I forced myself to continue past the bird-y section.  It wasn't over yet, though.  Two Gray Catbirds flew across the trail and into the meadow where they briefly paused before continuing on into the woods.


Eastern Bluebirds flew from the meadow into the trees and back, along the back edge of the meadow.  Chipping Sparrows joined them.  I didn't get any photos of them, but I did see this bluebird on my way out.






No comments:

Post a Comment