Saturday, July 12, 2014

Downy Woodpeckers

In the morning I took a walk at Drumlin Hill in Lincoln today, hoping to see a Northern Pearly Eye butterfly.  No luck in that department, but I did enjoy my walk.

Red Spotted Purple caterpillar 
(thanks to Brad on Caterpillars of Eastern US Facebook page for ID)

European Starling (juvenile)
Thanks to Alan M for the ID!

Halloween Pennant line up

Summer Azure


The above fruit-bearing tree (mulberry) was just full of birds:  Baltimore Orioles, American Robins, European Starlings.  They were making lots of noise.  The flower field was beautiful with at least one butterfly among the blooms.

Great Spangled Fritillary

Delphinium

Strawflower

more Delphinium

Vegetables were looking good too!



Downy

Downy

Baltimore Oriole

American Red Squirrel

Red-Bellied Woodpecker (juvenile)

yet another woodpecker!

Silver-Spotted Skipper

Eastern Tailed-Blue


Halloween Pennant take-off

Red-Bellied Woodpecker (juvenile)

Downy Woodpeckers in dueling position



Baltimore Oriole

In the afternoon, I took a walk at Tower Hill Botanic Garden in Boylston, MA.

Gray Catbird


Purple Poppy Mallow (sigh)

 Hollyhocks

Gorgeous!  Looks like a rose!

my only "wildlife" sighting

 Eastern Tailed-Blue

Banded Hairstreak

 Downy

 Pearl Crescent

 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail


 American Goldfinch
trying to drink from a decorative fountain

cute tiny frog #1 in the fountain

cute tiny frog #2 in the fountain

I checked all the lily pads for frogs the first time I walked by this fountain, and there weren't any, but when I walked by it again just before leaving, there were two tiny frogs on the lily pads.  It would have been so easy to miss them!

 Great Spangled Fritillary



I watched a butterfly flying all around my back yard today, and I joked that it was taunting me.  Every time I went out back with my camera, it would disappear.  Finally, I looked out and saw it land, so I grabbed my camera and ran back out there.  Amazingly, it was still there but flew before I could get a photo.  I stayed still, and it came back and landed a second time quite near where it had been.

Eastern Comma

No comments:

Post a Comment