Monday, April 1, 2013

Looking Back: 1Q2013

THINK OUTSIDE!
No Box Required

My bird list for 2013 so far stands at 93 species, with 20 new birds added to my life list.

My yard list for 2013 is up to 22 species.  The Pileated Woodpeckers were the greatest addition to my yard list!!!



New  Birds:
American Pipit
Barred Owl (calling only)
Black-Legged Kittiwake
Bonaparte's Gull
Dovekie
Great Cormorant
Greater Scaup
Harlequin Duck
Horned Grebe
Iceland Gull
Ipswich Savannah Sparrow
Long-Tailed Duck
Northern Gannet
Northern Shoveler
Northern Shrike
Pine Grosbeak
Sharp-Shinned Hawk
Snow Bunting
Snow Goose
Surf Scoter

Out of these new birds, it's hard to pick a favorite.

The Pine Grosbeak was a real beauty, and I really enjoyed watching it for a nice long while and got some nice photos of it.   I love how it matched the berries it was eating.



The Long-Tailed Duck was also really beautiful.  I was walking across a bridge so I got a nice close look at it from above.  So pretty!    I may have to have two favorites!


The Ipswich Savannah Sparrow was also pretty special - a light colored sparrow, noticeably different than any sparrow I had seen before, beautifully camouflaged for its winter habitat, and cooperative for a photo!  I think I'll have to have three favorites!



New Butterflies:
Not yet.....although others saw their "firsts" this past week.


Mammals:
White-Tailed Deer
Dolphins
Gray Seals
Harbor Seals
Muskrats
Rabbit


New Places:
George tries to convince me that birding repeatedly at my local spots makes more sense than driving an hour away to do the same thing.  I explain that it isn't just "birding"; it is adventure, seeing new things, walking different trails, and seeing other habitats that might be home to different birds from our local sites.  The beach makes a nice winter destination here.  There is no fighting with traffic, no $25 parking fee, and no crowds.

Andrews Point, Rockport, MA
Crane Beach, Ipswich, MA
Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary, Marshfield, MA
Dorchester Harbor Walk, Boston, MA
Institute Park, Worcester, MA
Jamaica Pond, Jamaica Plain, MA
Nantasket Beach, Hull, MA


Biggest Surprise:
The biggest surprise of this quarter was finding a Pileated Woodpecker in my own yard!




Favorite Photos:


Eastern Bluebird (on my deck!!!!)


Hopkinton State Park sunrise


Crane Beach
Ipswich, MA


Great Meadows NWR
coldest hike of the winter


Common Redpoll
Great Meadows NWR


Nantasket Beach
Hull, MA


On the technical side, I posted my first video of a wild turkey on March 25th.  It was an experiment!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment