Saturday, April 20, 2013

Bolton Flats Wildlife Management Area

I stopped at Bolton Flats on the way home from Groton.  I just couldn't drive past that exit!!

There were several other birders halfway down the trail, including Alan M., President of the Forbush Bird Club and Kim A, The Curious Birder.

There were many great birds in and around the water, including Killdeer, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Dunlin (life bird), Least Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpipers, Green-Winged Teals, and Red-Winged Blackbirds.  We saw Turkey Vultures off in the distance, as well as an Osprey hovering over the river.  And I heard the wonderful pumping call of the American Bittern again!

Dunlins


Osprey


We also had a wonderful view of a Virginia Rail (life bird).  I love this bird!  So colorful and dare I say CUTE.   Best bird of the day!

Virginia Rail



Although you can't see its face in this photo, I like the beautiful feathers on its back and wanted to include it to show them.  It was very unhappy with our presence and beat a quick retreat into the marsh.

On the way out, we were discussing the Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher that Kim had mentioned seeing at Bolton Flats on another visit.  Although I had heard of flycatchers, I had never heard of a gnatcatcher.  They explained the call to me as sounding like a Blue Jay with a head cold.  Then, Kim heard the bird and was able to spot it in the trees.  I got a distant shot of it and am happy to add it as a life bird!

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment