Friday, April 5, 2013

Chestnut Hill Farm

I took a short walk at Chestnut Hill Farm today in Southboro, MA.  The weather was beautiful - sunny and 50s (just clearing up after being grey and overcast all morning).  As soon as I got out of the car, I spotted two Eastern Bluebirds, a male and a female.  As I entered the trail system, I saw a pair of Northern Cardinals and a 2nd pair of Eastern Bluebirds.  It really felt like Spring today and was such an enjoyable walk.  I also saw 5 Dark-Eyed Juncos, 5 Tree Swallows, a Downy Woodpecker, 3 American Crows, and a couple American Robins.

 Eastern Bluebird


 Cabbage White butterfly (sitting on the leaf)
blurry, but proof all the same!

I was foolishly thrilled at the sight of this common butterfly species, my first sighting of a butterfly this year.  Let the season begin!

 I liked the layers of colors in this scene.  You can see that the lower stand of trees has budded leaves.





2 comments:

  1. The first butterfly of the season is always a thrill. No"foolish" about it! A sure sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! When will your season begin?

      Delete