Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hopping Blue Jay

Too lazy to fly?

This pine tree held 4 different feeding blue jays.  It was funny to watch them flying from branch to branch, finding something good to eat.  It didn't look like they were eating from the pine cones, but something on the branches themselves.  The above photo cracked me up.  I guess the blue jay was moving toward the end of the branch and didn't think it was worth flapping its wings.  It looks like it was levitating!

Red-tailed Hawk

A red-tailed hawk temporarily touched down in the top of the same tree, scattering the blue jays.  He didn't stay long enough for them to confront him but took off for other parts.


Hopkinton State Park at sunrise

American Tree Sparrow

I was hoping for another opportunity to identify this type of sparrow in the field, but I never imagined it would happen this soon!  Love that bright, rusty colored cap on its head.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment on your blog yesterday Dawn and couldn't so am trying again. Love your photos with the American Tree Sparrow in particular. Such handsome little birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handsome and frustrating. I hope to build my confidence in identification with practice!

      Delete