Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pileated Woodpecker

Yesterday morning began with a Red-Breasted Nuthatch sighting at my sister's backyard feeder.  Later, that afternoon, my parents and siblings and I all walked, in blustery winds with mid 50s temperatures, at Inniswood Metro Park in Westerville, OH.  There were still some pretty flowers in bloom at the entrance.


We walked The Preserve Trail, a beautiful, wide boardwalk which wound through the woods.  We hadn't gone too far at all when we heard the tapping of a woodpecker.



I was thrilled to see my first Pileated Woodpecker!  A life bird!  My parents had actually seen them here before, but we had all forgotten about it and so it was an unexpected surprise!



The foliage was also quite nice in spots!




We visited the rose garden on our way back to the car.  It was amazingly beautiful for late October and cold temperatures.  Here are some of the highlights.






No comments:

Post a Comment