Sunday, January 22, 2012

Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

I left the house at 6:30 AM and headed for Concord to walk at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.  The temperature reading in the car fluctuated on the trip over from between 11 degrees and 5 degrees.  It was cold!  There was only one other vehicle in the lot when I arrived about 7:20 and I passed one photographer on the trail and later 2 dog walkers.  Not much in the way of birds:  I saw a few sparrows, a woodpecker, Canada geese, and American coots.  The lighting was the star of this walk, as the sun came up over the trees mid-way through the walk and all the grasses on the sides of the trail were sparkling in their winter glory.








It really didn't feel too cold until I started on the Edge Trail, in the woods and out of the sun.  Then, it started to feel like single digit temps!  A beautiful start to the day!

On the way home, I decided to stop at Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA, where I happened upon a flock of Eastern Bluebirds feeding on Bittersweet.  Lovely!




No comments:

Post a Comment