Friday, October 25, 2013

Outside my Office Window

The woods outside my office window were busy this morning.  A flock of Dark-Eyed Juncos pecked its way through my garden.  There had to be at least 25 of them.  Also, a flock of American Robins kept jockeying for position in the trees out front.  A Downy Woodpecker moved through.  Chipping Sparrows, Black-Capped Chickadees, Yellow-Rumped Warblers, Blue Jays, and Tufted Titmice also moved through in small numbers.  A House Finch was chased off the peach tree by a Dark-Eyed Junco.  The sun shines directly into the same windows in the afternoon, so I have to pull the blinds, but it sure was a treat to see all those birds this morning!

I took my lunch break at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.  They are finishing up the mowing of the front meadows.  The back meadows have not been touched yet.  I found birds active along the edges of the woods and in the remaining un-mowed sections.

Golden-Crowned Kinglet

prob. Eastern Phoebe

Palm Warbler (click to enlarge)


Hermit Thrush

 Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Bluebird

There were tons of Eastern Bluebirds, and they looked so pretty against the fall colors in the background.  If you like bluebirds, visit Breakneck Hill!  I've seen them there year-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment